File an Air Pollution Complaint (24/7) 423.643.5970
The Chattanooga-Hamilton County Air Pollution Control Bureau investigates complaints that involve air pollution issues. Our investigator responds to complaints 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
To file a complaint that is currently occurring, call 423.643.5970. If it is after business hours, you will be connected to our on-call investigator. The website is monitored during business hours Monday – Friday. Online complaints will not be received until Monday morning.
If you would like to file a complaint for an ongoing issue (that is not occurring at that moment), please call the above number during business hours – Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
What is the typical nature of a complaint?
- burning, including, but not limited to:
- excessive smoke which is creating a nuisance
- burning materials other than vegetation and/or untreated, non-manufactured wood
- burning after permitted hours
- leaving a fire unattended
- burning during the burning ban (May 1 – Sept 30)
- If you fear the fire is a safety issue, contact the fire department.
- mishandling of asbestos
- odors from an industry
- excessive smoke coming from an industry
Any information you provide, including your name and phone number, becomes public record and may be released if someone submits a Tennessee Open Records Request.